Missing Summer Days and Whole Wheat Rosemary Focaccia


While many of you are enjoying the warmth of sunny days—I could only dream about it…Indeed! It is winter time down here and even though I don’t dislike cool days I have to confess that my heart belongs entirely to the beautiful spring-summer season :)


I love summery mornings with clear skies…don’t you?

Fortunately after many days of heavy raining the sun came out during the weekend-and my soul felt revive once and more. First thing I wanted to do was re-arrange my pots of flowers and herbs, which I did!


My hands became impregnated with the fragrant leaves of basil and I discovered that my lovely kalanchoe plant flower is already giving its fuchsia winter bloomers.


We've already began to feel thirsty J. while doing our gardening so J. went inside the house and squeezed some lemons to make lemonade with honey and mint leaves from our little herb garden--It taste heavenly.


And I have to tell you that doing this little gardening were truly a joy…because I miss it so much! 


And soon was time for lunch-Time certainly flies when you are doing something that you love...  


I prepared some broccoli flowers with tomato slices, garlic cloves with olive oil and sea salt.  I roasted them for about twenty minutes and  served it with feta cheese and slices of whole wheat focaccia.




It was such a lovely morning.



Soon after lunch J. and I started planning a long walk by the harbor and decided to postpone our weekend food-shopping for later on. 

I packed some vanilla cappuccino cookies that I baked the day before and headed to the harbor.

The breathtaking blue color of the water inspired us and filled our minds with a sense of magic energy-and we were so happy and amazed that we couldn’t resist having a walked by the beach too.


We’ve got there… sat on a rock and say nothing...just listened to the foamy waves crashing on the beach.  
I started to watch at the sky as seeking for an answer to such a natural beauty while watching the various shapes and figures I saw in the clouds –some of them seemed to have the shape of giant horses but to J. they looked like men with big muscles :)

The color, smell and sound of the sea water seems beautiful than ever to us…after so many days of bad weather.



It was a warm afternoon with a cool breeze but it felt so relaxing and rewarding that it wasn’t easy to leave that to do our food shopping for the week.

Once we've got home, I made some polenta with mushrooms and parmesan cheese and I (also) served it with the rosemary focaccia.Our house was warm and smelled lovely.


We ate same of the focaccia with our dinner and saved the rest for our next morning breakfast. 


Sunday, we woke up early and enjoyed the focaccia I baked the day before and we ate it with some runny honey :)

And it was simply a harmony of flavors dancing in our palates.



Whole Wheat Flour Rosemary Focaccia Recipe


2 3/4 C. Whole wheat flour
3 tsp. dry yeast
1 C. warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. olive oil
Pinch of salt
Dry or fresh rosemary 


Preparation:
Preheat oven at 200 C/ 400 F.

In a medium bowl combine flour and salt-mix. Take a small bowl. Add yeast, warm water, sugar--mix well and cover with a plate.Wait (about 10 minutes) for bubbles to appear in the yeast. Once the bubbles have appeared, and using a wooden spoon start to mix together the ingredients to form the dough and add olive oil.
Using your hands work the dough until is smooth and elastic. Cover and set in warm part of the kitchen-let the dough rest for 40 minutes. When ready, just punch down the dough over a floured surface and shape into a rectangle. Transfer the dough into lightly floured baking tray. Brush the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes and serve warm.

26 comments

  1. Ya te llegara el verano!!....cuando estemos con nieve hasta el techo tu gozaras del calor del verano....que delicia esta focaccia.....el romero encanta!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love focaccia! rosemary sounds fabulous with it :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is so full of light and bright .. like happy happy all the time :)
    Rosemary herb is one of my fav and this Focaccia looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a delicious and beautiful post again! Your pictures are so light and sunny, i can't believe it's winter, where you are. Also, all your recipes are great - easy and full of good ideas. Must give that foccaccia a try! Love for a sweet and relaxed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss summer too! Here, the weather is rotten and the temperatures are low, although it is the middle of summer.... :-$

    Dreamy clicks. I really like that second picture.

    A mouthwatering facaccia!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are gorgeous, Aldy. The focaccia looks amazing too...yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this post-so full of light and love for nature! I've never tried making focaccia with whole wheat flour and this recipe sounds delicious and encourages me to try new combination :-)

    Loving all your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aldy,

    En Francia està mas horrible que en New Zeland..Hace frio, llueve y esta super nublado (y ni te cuento en invierno!!) Veo que vos tenes SOL, y luz para derrochar, hasta en invierno!!! Leer tu blog me dio hambre (lastima que aca son solo las 10 am!
    Besitos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The focaccia looks great - perfect texture and rosemary is my favourite herb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The focaccia looks great - perfect texture and rosemary is my favourite herb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks beautiful!!! I love the sea/beach shots too! The focaccia looks wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to use lots of fresh rosemary in the summer. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks my friends-Lovely words :)

    Much Appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely photos and yummy foods!
    you have a very nice blog.
    glad to follow you!
    and thanks for dropping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fresh focaccia bread is perfect for any season.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. The focaccia looks great scented with rosemary & olive oil..Love all the pictures of summer especially the beach shots.
    Thanks for trying out the paratha recipe :) Sooo glad that you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds and looks like an incredibly beautiful day! The focaccia looks heavenly with the drizzled honey...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Tanvi, Thank you kindly <3

    Hugs,



    @Magic of spice, happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aldy, can you believe that I never made focaccia in spite to baking lots of bread? I love the idea of whole wheat and rosemary, a perfect complement to any meal. Beautiful pictures as always.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all GORGEOUS photos!! I love focaccia and I think rosemary is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have just discovered your sunny blog, full of beautiful colors and delicious recipes. Quel plaisir de s'y promener! A bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Bianca,

    @Blomma,


    Thank you very much for your kind words :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  23. The focaccia looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. He estado pensando en ti desde que me llego a mi correo esta entrada. Tu extrañando el verano y yo el Otoño. El Verano ha sido horrible en esta area del pais rompiendo records de temperaturas altas. Gracias a Dios se ha calmado un poco.

    Lo bueno es que el Otoño cada dia esta mas cerca para mi y la Primavera para ti.

    Un abrazo,

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am new to your blog:) i love your photos!! they are so beautiful!! thank you for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete